J. L. BELL is a Massachusetts writer who specializes in (among other things) the start of the American Revolution in and around Boston. He is particularly interested in the experiences of children in 1765-75. He has published scholarly papers and popular articles for both children and adults. He was consultant for an episode of History Detectives, and contributed to a display at Minute Man National Historic Park.

Subscribe thru Follow.it





•••••••••••••••••



Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Patriots’ Day Coming Up Again

Last year I did a lot of typing to assemble a list of Patriots’ Day activities in eastern Massachusetts. And when that holiday arrived, rain came down in buckets. Public-safety authorities canceled some events. Other commemorations went through in the rain, conducted by such hardy souls as young Randy Wilson, captured here by Joanne Rath for the Boston Globe.

Last month I used Boston 1775 to promote this year’s reenactment of the Boston Massacre at the Old State House. And once again, it was rainy and windy, the state meteorologists warned about floods, and the event had to be called off.

So I’ve learned my lesson. Patriots’ Day is coming up again, but I won’t tempt the weather gods by announcing any of the big outdoor events. You won’t hear from me that there’s a thorough schedule of those events in Middlesex County at BattleRoad.org. Nope, not from me.

3 comments:

briank said...

The Boston Massacre event wasn't a complete bust. They still did a re-enactment with children and a few adult volunteers inside the Visitor's Center across the street -- I was pressed into service to be Crispus Attucks. And then we were herded over to the Old State House for the re-enactment of the court martial. But it sure was a wet and windy day.

Thanks for not putting the jinx on Patriot's Day; I'm looking forward to going to the Battle Green re-enactment.

Robert J. said...

Some years ago I wrote an essay for my students about Patriots' Day, and I always point people to it again at this time of year:

http://rjohara.net/gen/wars/minuteman

No original research there -- not like Boston 1775 -- but perhaps interesting for the general reader. And thanks to B'75 I've learned of an error that needs to be corrected: the timing of John Adams' ride along the Battle Road. I'll have to get that fixed before the weekend. (If you spot any other factual errors I'll be glad to hear of them.)

Many thanks for maintaining one of the best historical blogs around.

RJO

pilgrimchick said...

I'm sorry to hear about the cancellations--I had no idea they didn't go off, although I do remember the rain from last year. Maybe this year we'll see a change? Let's hope....